NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 11:09:42 -0600
>> BTW, are you serious your son developed an allergy from ice cream being
>> dripped no him?  WOOOW!
>
>Well, he didn't develop the allergy from it, he already had the allergy,
>but the ice cream on his skin caused hives where it touched - this has been
>a problem his whole life!  When he was in Mother's Day Out they called me
>to come get him because his face had broken out in hives and he was
>wheezing . . turned out the teacher had wiped one child's milky face after
>lunch, then wiped his with the same cloth.  As I keep trying to make
>teachers, scout leaders, etc. understand - milk is poison to him!

We have the same situation.  If our son gets milk on him he gets hives.  He
fed goats at a petting zoo some milk from a bottle over a year ago (don't
ask what my husband and I were thinking since we never let him do this
before) and somehow some dripped on the back of his neck.  (For some reason
he never breaks out if he gets it on his hands.)  He broke out with hives
and the temperature was 91 degree F outside.  We wiped him off and kept a
wet cloth on his neck, but I really thought he was going to pass-out.  He
was ok after about one hour.  My brother (an MD) was with us and for the
first time he really understood when we tell him our son can't get milk on
him.   Ous son has been this way since he was born.

If he gets a small amount on him he just breaks out a little with no other
reaction.  But with the above it must have been more than a little milk and
the very hot temperature together that caused the reaction.

Rachele Shaw