NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Simon Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 19:24:30 -0400
 The open question is:
>would defering their exposure have any positive effect on whether they
>become allergic to the food (I don't think so) or to what degree their
>symptoms will develop (possibly, but I'm still doubtful).

My son was obviously sensitized in the womb as he reacted to milk within
hours of birth.  Because of my ignorance he was exposed to milk every few
months his first year.  His reaction eventually developed to anaphalaxis,
though it has lessened over the years of keeping him strictly away from
milk.  My third child was not exposed to milk till she was a year old(no
milk at all while I carried her).  The eczema started and we had skin tests
but they were negative.   We gave her milk again and she promply threw it
up.   The eczema cleared up within a week and she has never had it again.
We waited another year before we gave her milk again(yoghurt as we don't
keep milk in our house).  She seems to tolerate the yoghurt well enough.
I've seen no reaction and believe me I was looking for it since my husband
made the decision to expose her to milk and I didn't agree.  After four
months I have to admit that she has no reaction and probably waiting till
she was older helped either lessen or prevent an allergy from occurring.

I'm still keeping an watch on her, but it looks good.  My middle child was
not exposed till she was two, but as she doesn't share  the physical
resemblence my oldest and youngest do (same body build and characteristics),
I'm not surprised she has no allergies.  My oldest and youngest are very
alike.  This is just my experience, others might have different experiences.

Carmen - mom to Zane 5, Maria 4, Alexis 2+.
Central Ohio