NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christine Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:47:43 -0700
Hello All:
I'm responding to the recent discussions about dairy and depression and migraines as well as dairy and coughing.  I really appreciate the thoughtfulness that all of you have put into this list to make it useful and supportive for all.
Regarding Bonnie's post below, I would like to echo her words as they seem so important to me...
Last time I went to the allergist (who is a past president of the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology, and is nice, and knowledgeable, and treats me well), she prescribed an inhaler for me to use prior to eating certain foods and I received a handout about some sort of "reflex" that can occur after eating certain foods, that is separate from true allergy.  She thought my reactions (often coughing, choking, or slight wheezing after eating certain dairy products) may be this "reflex" and triggered by "cold" or "sour" tastes.
While this is interesting and may occur in some people, it is not consistent with my experience.  I have struggled with respecting her opinion and experience and also doing what I know is best for me.
My experience tells me that I am mildly allergic to certain dairy products.  My skin testing didn't show it.  My allergist goes back and forth as to whether it's a "true" allergy.  But I know that when I eat certain foods (ice cream, some parmesan cheese, regular milk,etc.), I have an immediate reaction.  For some reason, I can handle most yogurt and some cheese.  Even low-fat ice cream.  It seems to be related to the richness of the product.  (rich ice cream will make me cough--lowfat might not bother me).
I have yet to use the inhaler because it doesn't make sense to me.  I should try it, just to see if it changes my opinion.  After a lot of investigating and frustration, I guess I've decided that my own conclusions ARE worth something and that there are parts of medicine which are not definitive.  That is part of why this list is so valuable--to talk with other people who will validate our concerns and share their own experience with THEIR bodies.
So, I guess my only caveat is that we should all be careful not to jump to conclusions.  I try to integrate what my doctor tells me with what I believe.  However, when it comes to depression, migraines, or allergy/ asthma--we all need to do what we know is best for us.
Hang in there everybody!
Sincerely,
Christy

--------------------------------------
Bonnie's recent post:
There may not be a correlation between lactose intolerance and migraines, but
there is most definitely a correlation between true milk allergy and
migraines.   Although I am not anaphylactic to milk, I get terrible migraines, asthma
attacks, upper respiratory infections, and depression (I'm the one who
originally started the "Milk Allergies and Depression" thread) from milk products.

You are not alone.

Listen to your body (and not your doctor) in this case.   If your migraines
disappear when you stop the milk and reappear when you start again, I think you
can infer a cause/effect relationship.

Bonnie