NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:47:02 -0500
casein = kay-seen

My son will be 4yo in July.  He was a "colicky" baby from day 1.  We had
difficulty with breastfeeding so he went to a bottle with regular formula.
He was just "sick" all the time with the usual runny/stuffy nose and he
rarely slept and was chronically fussy.  The ped diagnosed him as "formula
intolerant" and we ended up on Nutramagen.  He did well and thrived on that,
but he still had some chronic upper respiratory stuff and still didn't sleep
well.  I just thought it was "normal" for him, assuming some babies are
simply more difficult than others.  He never suffered ear infections or
rashes that would tip off a ped to something more serious.  At about 9
months when he was taking more solid foods he seemed to get worse and then
the throat infections/ tonsillitis really kicked into high gear.  With
mobility came new problems that seemed sensory related and then he began the
self-injurious/self-mutilative behaviour, banging his head to a bloody pulp,
rubbing his skin on the carpet until raw, using sharp object to claw at his
arms and legs, etc.  They told me at 14 mos that he probably had a form of
autism.  He was exceptionally bright so they diagnosed him with Aspergers
Syndrome, Sensory Integration Dysfunction, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder,
Anxiety Disorder and possibly Tourette's Syndrome.  Ugggh!  *I* started
journaling every breath he took and noted the dairy relation.  I eliminated
milk (the kind you drink) from his diet and noticed a dramatic change in his
behaviour (for the better) but the upper respiratory symptoms still
persisted (I didn't know about "hidden" dairy then).  So with this evidence
I had to fight my way to an allergist.  The insurance company was a big
pain.  Finally at age 2 we got to an allergist and discovered he was
allergic to alpha-lactalbumin (one of the proteins found in whey).  We
totally eliminated all dairy from his diet and he's been "normal" ever
since.  It completely changed our lives.

Good Luck,