NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 21:16:44 -0700
On Sun, 3 May 1998 20:06:54 -0700 Susan Martin
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Those are from my purely anecdotal experience
>the classic corn symptoms...and so many people/children seem to have
varying
>degrees.   My own son was too very emotionally affected by his
allergies,
>improved immensely after we eliminated most of them but we didn't
discover
>corn until last...mostly because it did NOT increase his eczema, it did
NOT
>make him throw up, it did NOT make him itchy.  It made him bounce off
the
>walls, and throw things, and be cranky (now 2 1/2) and like someone
else.

My daughter is also allergic to dairy and corn.  It took us till she was
nearly a year old to figure out corn.  It had been suspected for quite a
while, but much harder to pin down than the dairy which had the classic
symptoms.  The corn was much more subtle and did not provoke the eczmea
and vomiting the way dairy does.  Since eliminating corn, she is a much
more tolerable child - much calmer and more enoyable.  It's also very
easy to tell when she has gotten something that she is allergic to by the
irratic behavior - uncooperative, stubborn, cranky, deliberately
disobedient.  Since her diet is pretty clean of offending substances, the
eczema does seem to pop up noticeably with corn, but not nearly as bad as
when she gets some dairy.

Allergy symptoms can be pretty elusive if you don't know what to look
for.  I did enjoy reading Dr. Rapps book and got a lot of insight from
it.

Kathy

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]