NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cathy O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:56:54 -0800

> About 25% of babies who are allergic to milk will have allergic reactions to
> hydrolyzed protein formulas.  Mine was one of them.
>
> Lynda

I'm curious where you got the number of 25%.  Care to share the source?

Lynda Mitchell wrote:

>  I missed the original post, but just want to mention that toddlers don't
> necessarily need a formula if they are getting adequate nutrition from solids.
> My son was one of those toddlers who was allergic to all formulas on the
> market due to milk and soy allergies (elemental formulas were not yet
> invented).  We switched him, under the guidance of a clinical dietician to
> water only with a carefully balanced diet of solid foods.  He grew and gained
> weight just fine under this plan.
>
> Lynda

The child we are referring to is 7 months old.

Once again, there is a whole group of nutrition experts that say otherwise about
the toddler issue.  Of course your son grew and gained weight.  My point was,
that given what researchers have to go by today, they do in fact indicate that
additional supplementation is preferable.  They say this for a reason, so one
would have to assume that differences in development have in fact been observed,
otherwise there would be no need for such recommendations.  It's reasonable to
assume also, that nutrition experts likely know more today than when your son
was small. Science has grown by leaps and bounds as the years have passed  So
yes, children can survive to the age of two without milk, soy, formula,
whatever,  but they apparently do significantly better with something of this
nature in their diets.

Let's agree to disagree, shall we?  I don't feel like kicking a dead horse ;-)

Cathy