NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Babes In Paradise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:13:16 -0800
Hi Judith,

It sounds like you have done a lot of work and research to narrow down your
food sensitivity.  Based on your information you are probably allergic to
all dairy.  Do you have allergies to anything else that you know of
(anything, not just food)?  Because people who are dairy allergic tend to
have other allergies or sensitivities as well.  Since you don't have a life
threatening reaction to dairy it doesn't seem necessary for you to get a
medic alert bracelet.  It wouldn't necessarily help you if you were
hospitalized anyway - they are notorious for not paying attention to diet
restrictions unless a doctor specifically prescribes something like "clear
liquids".

Migraines or headaches are definitely a sign of food allergy too.  My
Grandfather gets migraines from certain forms of chocolate (but he can eat
Oreos with no affect).  You can also get them from hormone changes such as
from birth control pills.

By the way, whoever that Doctor was who told you the DQ Blizzards contain no
milk must have been a QUACK!  They're made from ice cream!

As far as allergy testing, I would say that's entirely up to you.  Sometimes
the results can be kind of iffy.  If cost isn't a factor, you may as well do
it and then follow up the results by doing a sort of elimination diet.  When
we were trying to determine my son's allergy we eliminated all dairy from
his diet and his symptoms finally stopped.  When we reintroduced dairy again
 his symptoms started coming back (we also followed up with a RAST test).

If you haven't already done so I would recommend you finding a book on food
allergies, how to identify them, and how to deal with them.  One such book
that I have read is called: Food Allergy Field Guide A Lifestyle Manual for
Families by Theresa Willingham.  I'm sure others here could make further
recommendations as well.

Best of Luck to you!
Debby