NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:05:46 -0800
Well, I really got burned on this one.  I picked up some packs of Jelly
Belly jelly beans over the weekend.  They were marked Kosher - it's a
rectagle with a cap K and small o.  There were other candies there from
the same company that had the Dairy modifier on the same Kosher symbol,
so I didn't bother to scrutinize the ingredients (the price sticker was
mostly covering it).  Well, I worked on this bag of jelly beans for 2
days and could not figure out why I felt so miserable.  I just chalked it
up to being pregnant.  Just for kicks, I took the price tag off after I
finished the bag to read what type of chemical mess I'd just eaten, and
there it was - cream, non fat milk!

The bag of only fruit flavored ones I also bought seems to be OK.  I
can't understand why there was no Dairy marking!  I would not consider
jelly beans to be "obviously dairy" that they could leave it off.  I
looked in my one reference for Kosher hecshers and that one is not
listed.

Check that Easter candy carefully :-(
Kathy P.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]