NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Catherine Ordener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 09:23:42 -0800

> I am doing a survey for my nutrition class-I'd like to know how many
> allergic kids out there were exclusively breastfed for at least the first
6
> months and continued breastfeeding to at least a year without any formula

My son is severely allergic to milk protein (milk dropped on his arm caused
swelling last week) and was breastfed exclusively for six months.  He
started with solid foods about that time (his choice) and continued
breastfeeding until he was nine months old.  At that time he had started to
walk and didn't want to be tied down to a breast!  So he was started on soy
formula (my choice, since my husband and I both reacted to milk as babies).
 He got his first cow's milk on his first birthday, and his second
experience with it resulted in an anaphylactic reaction (wheezing,
swelling, stomachache, diarrhea, runny nose, hives).

psam