NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:02:11 EST
Tracy, hang in there. It may take a couple of months to break the chocolate
addiction, if indeed that is what you have. About 20 years ago, before I knew
anything about allergies, I was addicted to chocolate. I gave it up for lent,
even though I wasn't Catholic, but it seemed like the thing to do. I could
have killed for chocolate for the first 5 weeks. By the sixth week I didn't
care anymore. Then someone brought in a chocolate birthday cake. I figured
lent was over, I could eat it now. It was like I was on speed ( I assume,
I've never actually been on speed.). I could feel it coursing through my
veins. I was an insurance claims adjuster at the time and I adjusted more
claims that afternoon than in a typical week. I readicted worse than ever
before. I had to go through it all over again. I had the shakes and
everything. For years after that, just the sight of a chocolate chip would
give me a migraine. But then it seemed to lessen. Now, I can have a little
chocolate when I want it, but I still don't care much about it, and a true
indulgence will still produce a headache, but a little is fine.

On the other hand, if you are not experiencing the same thing, perhaps you
could consider a non-dairy chocolate chip home-made confection to satisfy
your need. Sunspire makes some, and I think Ghirardelli (sp?) does as well.
Look for the DARK chocolate since obviously milk chocolate has milk in it.
Also, carob does not satisfy as a chocolate substitute, however, I have found
that you can get a good chocolate flavor in say a cake if you use part carob
and part cocoa. It cuts the negative impact but still tastes chocolatey.
Carrie