NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Juliann Seebauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 09:57:27 -0500
We have a mostly milk, soy, eggs, corn, fish, nut, barley, legume-
free household (dad eats anything, he's on his own for meals). (Also
no seafood, and haven't gotten around to testing some things like
mushrooms)

How about
Stir- fry's (any cut up meat and veggies over rice or noodles)
Chicken and noodles (use light olive oil, and maybe some veggies and
you got a healthy meal)- or grab some of those canned meats, and mix
with noodles, a bit of oil and salt or spices.
Hamburgers, Meatloaf, Roasts
Pork chops (can be similar as above- chop it up and serve over/ with
noodles, potatoes, rice)
Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash are all packed with vitamins and minerals.
Potato pancakes, too.
Cornish hens are easy, too.
Spaghetti, any noodles with sauce
We've been also adding bananas or applesauce to our muffin and
pancake recipes for a change of flavors.  [I also add calcium and
magnesium to our bread (muffin, pancake,  cookie) recipes.]
Anyone for taco's, or taco salads? They taste just fine w/out cheese.
We put applesauce in those 'waffle bowls' that are meant for ice cream.

We even make pizza- Safe sauce and safe meat on top (I even use safe
hot- dogs sliced like pepperoni for my 7 yr old son).
we also make ravioli at home using semolina flour, meat with spices
for filling, even sometimes put the tomato paste inside. My kids have
liked these 'dry' without sauce (lot less mess for me to clean up,
too).
.
If you're looking for a real flavorful change of pace. I made some
stuffed cabbage rolls last year. It was much easier than I thought.
Core and steam a cabbage upside down in a pot- remove leaves as they
soften. Fill it with a combination of ground beef, rice, (can throw
in ground pork, turkey, mushrooms,onions, etc.). Line them up in a
pan, put a tomato sauce on top, and bake for a while. If the meat is
cooked, bake in less time, or don't bake at all. These taste even
better the second day, after the flavors mix.

Your story reminded me of when I was pregnant with my second. We
found out my son's allergies when I was about half-way thru my second
pregnancy. So I avoided milk, nuts, soy, eggs, barley, legumes- It
gave me a great excuse to go out and have steak and potatoes (I
brought safe margarine). I also drank lots of calcium OJ. ... My
daughter threw up until about 11 months old- we found out then that
she was instead allergic to the corn in my diet (and also had
troubles with oranges and OJ for many years). So you never know what
the new person's allergies may be- or if they will have any allergies
at all!
Good  luck- We've been having this diet for many years (with lots of
fruits and veggies).

Re-reading your email- I use a pancake recipe from ' The milk- free
kitchen, and mix it as 1/2 white flour, 1/2 whole wheat flour.
I typically eat bagels for breakfast, with margarine or jelly on top.
Are you taking a multivitamin? folic acid?