NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellyn Adler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:09:52 -0500
I've realized over the few years I've been on this list that there is
always someone who knows the answer to any dairy-related question, no
matter how bizarre. Here's something I thought of last night...

I've been knitting holiday gifts, scarves, socks, etc.  Some I give, some I
make for others to give. I tend to use casein needles as they're warm to
the touch and slightly flexible as well as durable. They're easier on your
hands than metal needles, especially when knitting small items in small
stitch gauges.

Does anyone think (or know) if there would be even a remote chance that
someone who has anaphylactic reactions to dairy could react to something
that was knit on these needles? The items are generally not laundered. They
may get spritzed with water as part of the blocking procedure when
completed, but never thoroughly washed. I don't know how much of the casein
actually comes in contact with the yarn, or if the casein is somehow sealed
in the plastic. I've only just contacted the manufacturer, so I have not
received a response yet.

I've searched online and found information about people who reacted to
casein acupuncture needles, but nothing about knitting needles. I've
stopped using the needles for anything I make for others, just in case,
especially since most of what I make is for babies and small children.

If anyone has any info...thanks!