NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
D Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:07:28 -0600
Cathy O'Connor wrote:

>  I am talking about complete nutrition, the
> subtleties of the combinations of different fats, minerals, vitamins and
> other nutrients and how they affect the very rapid development that occurs
> from 0 to 2 years, including the development that we don't see. superb.

The general standard of nutrition for toddlers is to switch them from infant
formula to whole cow's milk at 1 year of age.  So given that, what I was
referring to is how to meet the needs of a dairy allergic child who can't have
cow's milk.  If supplementation with infant formula is necessary because a
average toddler's diet (with vitamin supplements) does not contain adequate
nutrients, then it follows that a child drinking cows milk also is not receiving
adequate nutrition since it is vastly different in nutrients than infant formula.
So not to debate the accuracy, but it seems you are saying all children
should remain on infant formula until age 2 instead of 1 that is now standard
(here in US at least).   Infant formula is also much lower in protein than cows
milk and even toddler formulas.

> if my daughter weans before she is two, I'll make sure she
> continues to get at least one meal a day of "complete nutrition," by using
> a dairy and soy free formula.

I applaud you for still breastfeeding your 17 month old daughter.  You
obviously know that no formulas can fully replace this and she is still getting
the lactose that is very important for brain development (but unavailable in
nonmilk formulas).  However if she's already eating solids, some of the
"complete nutrition" that breastmilk provides is already being replaced by
other foods.  We started concerning ourselves with Ryan's nutrition before we
were even thinking of weaning him just because his intake of breastmilk was
naturally decreasing.  We (and the doc) felt he needed additional calcium by
around 15 months - he was nursing around 3 or 4x per day at the time.  He
was already receiving the multi vitamin with iron at the time as well.

We never tried one of the protein hydrolysate formulas that I believe you were
referring to, but besides their expense I understand they are very unpleasant
tasting.  A toddler accustomed to breastmilk may be VERY resistant to this.

Denise