NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:54:38 -0400
At 12:01 PM 4/4/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I really don't remember eating many dairy foods while I was
>breastfeeding.  So, I don't know what it was. It's all so confusing.

Could be any food, not just dairy.

>But, I know something was causing him harm.  You're right though. I am
>glad I listened to my body and his.  I knew something was causing the ill
>attacks.
>
>The doctor's kept telling me it was colic.  No colic I've ever heard of
>caused him this much pain.

Doctors tend to disbelieve a link until proven otherwise in a controlled
study. We parents know patterns when we see and repeat them. Our former
pediatric allergist told us unequivocally that there was no link between
our son's food allergies and his eczema. We knew better. Years later, the
same doc is published as saying that there is a definitive link between
food allergies and eczema in a large percentage of children with eczema.

>I know there are so many controversies over breastfeeding and bottle
>feeding.  I can't begin to solve the mysteries.  I can only contribute
>that breastfeeding made my son ill.  So, good luck to others. I don't mean
>to discourage anyone.

IMHO, the only time to switch is when no amount of mom's dietary
adjustments help and you need to determine whether food is the primary trigger.

Mark

Mark Feblowitz                  [log in to unmask]
Senior Principal MTS                    (781) 466-2947
GTE Laboratories Incorporated           (fax) (781) 466-2618
40 Sylvan Road, LA0MS46
Waltham, MA 02451-1128