NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 08:54:02 +1100
At 03:17 PM 12/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Two quick questions: is it true that people who suffer from lactose
>intolerance can eat things made with goat's milk (such as goat's milk
>cheese)? I've been hesitant to try it because I have a fairly serious
>reaction to all dairy products, but this might be a good option.

All mammalian milk contains lactose. Ive had some cheeses that give no
lactose reaction
but its more to do with the cheesemaking process rather than the source.

>Second, is it true that some people who suffer from lactose intolerance
>actually lose this intolerance after a period of time? I read something
>where one sufferer went "lactose free" for about 14 months, and then
>tried milk products again--with no symptoms or complications! Myth or
>reality?

yes and no. Some people after a severe intestinal problem, (food poisoning
etc) find they develop LI symptoms due a significant number of villi being
'shaved' from their bowel. The lactase being produced in these villi is
greatly reduced resulting in LI symptoms. The severe LI symtoms damage the
villi some more and dont allow them to regrow -> vicious cycle. So a rest
from lactose can allow the lactase production to resume and the person is
no longer LI. But in most of us, you cut out lactose for a year or so and
lactase production drops off even more and the person become more LI.