NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 21:02:23 PST
Although my own son was so allergic to milk that he also reacted to the cow's milk protein hydrosylate in Nutramigen, I would not necessarily rule it out if I were to have another baby.   However, There are other hypoallergenic formulas, Alimentum is one and Pregestimil is another.

If your family has a history of allergies, your baby may be "at risk" for developing food allergies also.  Using hypoallergenic formulas and not feeding foods with high allergenic potential (milk, soy, peanuts) during the first two or three years of life will give your child the best chance of avoiding the development of those allergies altogether.

There are  studies which show that babies who are given hypoallergenic formulas routinely have low incidence of milk allergy.

There are also is a study which showed that a significant number of babies with reflux had an undiagnosed milk allergy.

>>We need to bottlefeed the baby we're expecting in early February, and
we're trying to figure out which formula to try.  I'm wary of
Nutramigen and I'm wondering if Carnation Good Start might work.<<

Lynda