NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amanda Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:48:41 -0400
I know this has probably been asked, but I need help identifying some things.
I have determined that I have a severe milk allergy with the help of my allergist, we decided that I was allergic, even though the prick test was negative (I did find out I'm allergic to fresh water fish though - darn), but elimination dient was enough to convince both of us that it was milk.  My symptoms at 24 yrs old had developed into:

moodiness - with violent swings in temerment
tired after I eat - like exhausted
migranes
cluster headaches - with total loss of feeling on my right side of my face
exzema (didn't realize it was connected at first)
panic attacks

As a small child, I was on soy milk (yuk) but in the 70's they didn't believe in milk allergies, so I was just collicy.  I was given medicine to make me sleep longer than 10-20 minutes at a time.  I began to "grow out" of that stage, and by age 5, I wanted real milk again.  My parents let me have it and severe ecxzema followed.  I had sores on my legs that never went away. Through Childhood, I was never a big milk fan, but did drink it with really rich foods, cake & cookies mostly, and  over cereal in the morning.  Every day I had horrible abdominal cramps, but my father the anti-hypochondriac pointed out it was all in my head (we were never "allowed" to be sick). As an adult, I eliminated milk products  from my diet by natural selection, don't like - don't eat.  I was still a big fan of all cheese & cream in my coffee. When the symptoms developed 3 years ago, I was already going to my GP about migraines.  I had learned that they are heredetary, and everyone in my immediate family & most of my extended family was/had been on medication for them.  That explained why my head always hurt - I never knew it wasn't supposed to feel that way, so I lived with it.  He put me on various meds & sent me to a dietician.  It was there we determined that my "trigger" was milk products.  I switched to non dairy creamer, & stayed away from obvious milk products.  Then I went back to milk in the coffee, just one cup, every morning before I left for work.  Every day, 45 mins after I left the house for work, I would get a blinding pain in the back of my head on the right side.  I equated it with being shot as the pain was instant and intense and within seconds I lost all of the senses on that side of my face.  Vision, smell & taste were all gone on that side, & the whole side of my face was numb and difficlut to move.  On really bad days, the pain would spread to my shoulder, arm & hand.  I returned to the dr. terrified - he said it was still migaines, here's more meds.  Days later, I figured out the connection to the milk in the coffe & stopped using it.  Symptoms cleared up, however I was still tired, moody, and suffering from panic attacks & difficulty breathing. I returned to the dr. to request a referral to an allergist - I was denied! I said I thought it was allergy to milk - dr. says - then avoid milk. Nice guy - not my dr anymore.

In any case,  I wanted to demonstrate the intense nuerological effects of the allergy, and find out if any one else experiences the same types of reactions.  I am confused at best, because I have never heard of the intense pain, etc.  I have heard that there are several types of allergies ie the immune systems way of responding to allergens.  Is there one where these symptoms are the trademark?  I am concerned about dying from an unknown food element, especially when eating out.  I don't think I will go anaphylaxic, but are there other fatal possibilities?  The pain is very bad & I am very scared.  I have learned a lot about food over the last 3 years & I found out - the hard way - that most restaraunts cook everything in butter.  I also know for a fact (I work at a restaurant) that when you ask for no butter, they just take the butter off prep'ed food which leaves a residue.  I have managed to get the kitchen guys at my store to take care of me, but they have slipped a couple of times, and do not understand the seriousness.  Many times they say "for you ok, but for a customer" - disgusting.

I apologise for the long post, I know it is bad net-etiquite.  Please, though, if any one can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Amanda Lucas

Also - A family member has PKU, she is 7, and does very well.  My question here is many of her reactions to too much protien are very simillar to my reactions to too much milk protein. Does this sound crazy? I know that her PKU is a much larger deal than my milk crisis, but could the body's reaction be similar?
Thanks again.