NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alex Oren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:53:14 -0500
Hello people.

McDonald's lists their ingredients on their sites:
http://www.mcdonalds.ca/en/ourmenu/ (Canada)
http://www.mcdonalds.com/countries/usa/food/ (USA)

According to the US site, the Hamburger and Quarter Pounder do not contain
milk.  However, one of the bun's ingredients is either "sodium stearoyl
lactylate" or "sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate".

Being suspicious of anything that contains the infamous 4-letter word
("lact"), I checked the net and got conflicting opinions.  It seems that
these ingredients may or may not be derived from milk.

I phoned McDonald's customer relations in Toronto (416-446-3932) and they
promised to get back to me with an answer but it may take several days and
my daughter is invited to a party...

We used to go by the old "allergies and sensitivities" list that they had on
their site about a year ago, and she never had any reaction to the regular
"hamburger", but just to be sure, I'd like to hear whether one of you had
any problem, especially with the "Happy Meals".  Also, what about their
juices (as a replacement for the milk in the "Happy Meal")?  I know that
some orange juices contain calcium lactate...

Any info (but especially Canadian one) is appreciated.

Thanxalot!
Alex.