NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 22:35:26 -0500
On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Rachele Shaw wrote:

> We love pumpkin pie and I make it all the time without milk or eggs.  I use
> Edensoy soy milk (I see no need to put tofu in it), and instead of eggs I
> cook the pumpkin with everything and then cornstarch as a thickener.  It

We also make a pumpkin pie free of milk and eggs.  It's also a no-bake but
uses unflavored gelatin as a thickener instead of cornstarch.

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup dairyfree milk substitute (your choice, we use farmrich)
2 cups (1 can) pumpkin
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt

I let the gelatin sit in the water for a minute before dissolving it on
low heat, and then just throw the rest into the pot, mix it together, and
pour into the 9" prebaked or graham cracker crust.  Then refrigerate for
a couple hours.  My husband's the one with the allergy, but I actually prefer
this version to the traditional.  We've also used the gelatin approach for a
chocolate pudding pie free of dairy and eggs.

Gail Lewis