NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marla Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 21:42:36 -0400
cheryl, sorry but i laughed when i saw the bit about sesame in your post. <g>
guess what else my 4 year old's allergic to?!

found out rather accidentally; a kid from her preschool brought all the kids chocolate bars from israel last year, & was so considerate to remember dana's dairy allergy, & brought her halvah instead....which promptly made her VIOLENTLY ill! & testing confirmed she's pretty severely allergic to sesame, too.... (and those are her only 2 food allergies.....)

i've read that the prevalence of sesame allergy in some mid-east countries is akin to peanut over here.... it's often used in infant/toddler snacks in mid-eastern countries bc of its nutritional value, but sesame allergies are definitely on the rise...& in the US & australia, too... i guess bc of the increasing 'internationalism' of our cooking, particularly eastern dishes....

SO...i guess our list of "safe" foods is constantly dwindling, huh??!
:)
marla

 I upped my intake of carob, broccoli, figs, and sesame
(all good sources of calcium) during my pregnancy.  FYI, sesame seeds
on bread, sesame seeds in stir-fry, and tahini (sesame butter) on bread
and in hummus, etc. My 4 year old daughter also eats tahini on sandwiches
in place of peanut butter.

Marla Shapiro, Ph.D.
MSC 5A0622
Regents Center for Learning Disorders