NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:53:39 -0400
Hi -

There's been great information on this topic.

There are different variants of casein:  alpha, beta and kappa.  These
variants occur in different ratios in the milk of different mammals.
That's why most infants (not all!) who cannot tolerate any cow's milk,
even when their mother drinks it, can still thrive on breastmilk.  Some
infants, as I've recently learned (thank-you), do poorly even on
breastmilk.  I assume that this means EITHER that their tolerance for
ANY kind of casein is basically nil, or it may mean they have a seocndary
allergy (perhaps to egg, which also can migrate to breastmilk), or that
their mother who believes that she has eliminated all casein from her
diet still has some source left in.

If anyone here is trying to eliminate casein from her diet on behalf of
her brestfeeding baby, be aware that you must eliminate it RUTHLESSLY
during the elimination stage (beware of those processed foods) and that
it can take up to TWO full weeks to see definitive results.

Thanks again fro your great responses on this thread.  (I'm revising that
section of my web site becasue of what I've learned.)

--Beth Kevles
  Disclaimer:  Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
  advice.  Please consult with your own medical practicioner.