NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cathy O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:48:41 -0800
Well, I'd have to concede that by 19 months it's not such an issue as it would be for a
one year old, which is what that paragraph of mine was about.  I don't recall saying
anything about fat deficiency.  I think you miss my point though.  I am talking about
complete nutrition, the subtleties of the combinations of different fats, minerals,
vitamins and other nutrients and how they affect the very rapid development that occurs
from 0 to 2 years, including the development that we don't see.  Maybe I didn't make
myself clear enough on that.  Obviously your pediatrician disagrees with our research
institute.  That's fine.  Like I said, I'm not going to sit here kicking a dead horse.
My main concern is my child's care and nutrition,  and as far as I'm concerned our
resources here are superb.

D Jacobs wrote:

> Many of the nutrients in formulas are
> added anyways, so why is that any better than getting them through vitamins
> or other sources?

Of course the nutrients in formulas are added.  I never said it was a better way to get
them either, but it is the most complete source when you compare that to other infant
vitamins combined with an average toddler's diet.  Hence my preference for something a
little more complete.  Even with a well balanced diet and PolyViSol, I don't think
you'll get 100% of the vitamins, minerals etc. that he needs, but what child does in
reality.

> Formulas are just a combination of chemicals put
> together in a way to make them appear similar to milk.

Hmmm, mind telling me what "chemicals" you are talking about?  You refer to formula as
if it some toxic soup.  That's ridiculous.  And no, they put that combination of
"chemicals" as you call them, together to meet the nutritional needs of infants, not to
make the stuff resemble cow's milk.  While I am aware that some breastfeeding zealots
would talk about formula this way, if my daughter weans before she is two, I'll make
sure she continues to get at least one meal a day of "complete nutrition," by using a
dairy and soy free formula.  I see nothing wrong with that at all, and it's advice that
we've received from a very reputable organization, not just one pediatrician's opinion.

> And cows milk itself
> is hardly an ideal cornerstone of a child's diet... it has NO iron at all and can
> cause the stomach to leak iron leading to anemia.

Maybe not, and it wouldn't be my choice either, but try and tell that to the millions of
families who pull out the jug of milk at each meal.

I don't think that lay people like you and I can fully understand the complexities of
human growth and development and the body's utilization of nutrients.  I do know that I
have talked with some of the most informed people on this subject in this city and feel
confident about what I have learned.

Cathy