NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 10:02:24 -0700
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:44:05 -0500
> From:    Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Milk free preschoolers - not very easy
>
> >Our daughters first reaction was at 5mths and on 2 occasions where she
> >did have milk her face went completely red. We challenged her with milk
> >in a hospital at 8mths and her throat closed with 1 tsp of milk. She is
> >now 6 years old and has never had milk since. She carries 3 epipens with
> >her always.
>
> Why 3?  Might she need more than one shot for a single reaction?
>
> --Robyn

Robyn -

 We have 3 epipens also, but keep one in the office at her preschool, one
in her bag in her room at preschool and one in a "medicine bag" at home that
goes out with us everywhere (hangs on a hook by the door).  So, we just have
one with us at any one time, but my husband wants to get more so we have
backups in case the first one doesn't work (aerospace redundancy!).  Insurance
only covers 3 at a time (but we can get 3 more the next month).  The doctor
wrote the perscription for 6.

Also, Alyssa's anaphylactic reaction was to eggs, but it occurred the second
time she had egg (it wasn't quite anaphylactic, but close enough to worry the
allergist, and us).  We are treating the allergy as anaphylactic for now.

Oh, also, the expense of toddler non-dairy drinks.  I have not had this problem
since Alyssa stopped drinking bottles (about 18 months).  She just never took
to drinking Rice Dream straight.  She uses it on cereal, and drinks a bit now
and then, but it's not a big concern.  I would guess that your toddler will
gradually drink less "milk", and eat more food.   Checking with insurance is
a good idea, too.

Laurie