NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Joe Ames Sr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 09:53:38 -0500
Hi Dawn,

In recent years federal food labeling laws have improved considerably.  I'm
not sure, but I believe that all of the national food chains must provide
ingredient statements of their products to consumers upon request.
Contrary to popular belief, the product development people in the food
industry are not intentionally trying to harm people by "sneaking"
ingredients into products.  If by chance an ingredient doesn't show-up on
an ingredient statement it is by oversight.  I have made up many labels in
the past and my only concern was to keep competition from duplicating my
products too easily.
Today however, thanks to Don Wiss, I am aware of the suffering of gluten
intolerant people, as well as other allergies.  Labels that I prepare today
are clear and explicit.  I may mention also that not all "natural flavors"
contain hidden ingredients. However some do, not hidden intentionally, but
in such small amounts in the finished product, that they are considered
insignificant.
May I suggest that groups such this, contact the Institute of Food
Technology, ( They have a web site.), and convey these concerns.  It really
is a matter of educating food technologists, rather than accusing them of
devious practices.

My two cents.

Joe Ames