NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Max Desorgher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 02:29:41 +-100

> >Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Thanks for any info on this.

I am not LI, or proven anything else anyway :-/
I am by diet able to tell that milk does me harm. I would have taught
my  overwhelming sleepiness to be caused by casein, entering
the body as a peptide..

According to the work of Dr Kalle Reichelt and others, casein
can break down to an opiate-like peptide (casomorphine)
in the gut. If this gets into the bloodstream and then crosses
the blood-brain barrier, it effects the nervous system as a
psychoactive agent. Dr Reichelt's work is with autistic
children, whom he found to have elevated levels of these
peptides in the urine.
(see http://www.xs4all.nl/~maxdes/health/gfcf/gfcf.html)

The question still remains how do these peptides get into
the brain. The answer may be that in the autistic individual,
the immune system is so busy dealing with a flood of
unwanted toxins (through allergies, candida overgrowth etc.)
that it lets the opioid peptides through as a lesser evil.
The same chain of events may effect other people as
well as diagnosed autists.

Another possibility is, that any food that the body has
difficulty digesting may cause drowsiness, because
the body needs to conserve energy at that time.

Max