NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Carrie L. Micko" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:05:22 -0600
Hi! I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a homeschooling mother
of 4 under 10years old and our house has been dairy-free for
5 years after I had to make a major dietary change which
included eliminating milk and for a few years, all meat from
our diet. I had hyperthyroid and have handled it naturally
with the diet change. It appears we can have no cow
nohow---except for butter, which I've interpreted to mean we
are dairy PROTEIN sensitive. I've heard dairy sensitivity
runs 4 generations deep in our family. My nine year old
daughter lost her adnoids at 6 months due to sensitivity to
the cow's milk protein in my diet that came through the
milk. She was such a loud snorer you could hear her
downstairs. Her adnoids got so big she stopped breathing for
15 seconds at a time until she jerked and opened her mouth.
I was holding her so I saw it.Sat up with her all night and
two days later had surgery. Two years later when my newborn
son started making the same breathing patterns I remembered
an article I had read between the two births that tied cow's
milk protein sensitivity to enlarged adnoids and tonsils (my
own were removed at age 5, if we'd only known!) So I took
milk out of my diet and his breathing became normal. That
was my first clue. Five months later hyperthyroid was
recognized in me. I went through a major cleansing, lots of
vitamins, juicing,etc. and in three weeks my thyroid levels
were normal. However very volatile. The slightest molecule
of milk or meat caused trouble. Five years later I'm pretty
normal and can eat turkey, chicken or fish once or twice a
week but still nothing from the cow except butter. Have
cooked for five years without meat or milk. Even if we found
we could tolerate a meal with cheese or milk, it would be a
rarity, because I also read that juvenile diabetes and milk
protein sensitivity? allergy? intolerance?(I haven't learned
the difference) are connected. And there is diabetes coming
down 3 lines in my family. Hopefully if we don't challenge
the system with milk, perhaps my we will sidestep it.
    I am excited to have found this list--I'm brand new to
the web. So if I make mistakes, please let me know kindly. I
would like to ask a question of the list owners, but my
attempt was returned saying the address is unknown. Does
anyone have the current address? I accidently deleted it
from a previous message received from them. Thanks!