NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:06:24 -0500
>If all this is true about ear infections and milk allergies, why has my
>milk-allergic child never had an ear infection and my non-allergic child
>has many??
>
>Ear infections have MANY causes......bacteria is the main cause.

There's nothing like sweeping generalizations to set off a barrage of angry
such as "I always suspect dairy allergy as a possible trigger to ear
infections" over the more inflamatory and less factual "ear infections are
always triggered by dairy allergies."

Let's just say that there is a strong correlation between allergies and ear
infections. That's not to say that allergies are present in all of those
who suffer from chronic ear infections, nor is it to say that all with
allergies suffer from chronic ear infections. Nor is the relationship
exclusive to dairy allergy.

But one thing to suspect in your search for relief from chronic ear
infections is allergy, especially when there's family history. If one child
has a dairy allergy, then there is a positive family history for at least
one atopic disorder. If another child has frequent ear infections, it is
possible that that child inherited some other allergy that leads to
inflamation and additional mucus discharge, which may make the child more
prone to ear infections, sinusitis, etc. Not necessarily, but a strong
possibility. As Deborah pointed out, there are many possible reasons that a
particular person is prone to chronic ear infections. What you have to do
is become a detective, putting together test results, symptoms, repeating
circumstances, trends, etc., in your search for a *possilble* link for a
possible contributing factor. If the child, for example has seasonal
allergic rhinitis (hay fever) and also has recurrent ear infections,
there's a possible link. If you observe allergic shiners, there's another
piece of evidence. If tests are inconclusive but weakly positive for cat
and you have one, there's a possibility.

If you're lucky, you can identify a controllable allergen and relieve the
condition. Much more likely, you'll find yourself calling for yet-another
antibiotic and setting up a consult for ear tubes.

Mark Feblowitz