NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
LadyJune <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 06:53:41 -0500
On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Andrew Starr wrote:
>But I guess my question applies across all spectrums.  What esp. gets me
>are when I inform people that I'm lactose intolerant, and people say "Can't
>you just take those pills?"

I AM allergic to milk (but NOT lactose intolerant, go figure), and I
get the same question:  "Can't you just take one of those pills?"

And your answer should be the same as mine:  "No, I can't".

There is no reason to be apologetic for your condition, nor to have
others make you feel like a 2nd class citizen because of it...

If you were diabetic, would they push sugary foods on you?

>So what do you do when accepting an invite to a dinner?

I accept...

Depending on who's doing the invite, I may check to see what they're
serving, and request a modification be made for me if it isn't too
difficult -- for example, one Thanksgiving I was having dinner at a
good friend's, and she was planning to serve mashed potatoes made from
scratch, chock full of milk, butter, and cheese...I asked if she could
just save a plain potato for me after cooking them and before adding
it to be mashed, and she did...

On other occasions, I make a judgement call -- is it worth it to eat
this item, and aggravate my eczema (the allergic reaction I get from
milk), or should I just pass it by...

Sometimes, just to not make an issue about it, I'll accept something
that I know I shouldn't eat, eat what I can and just make the motion
of tasting what I know I'm allergic to, and then leave it on my
plate..."Oh, it's delicious!  But I'm just too full right now..."...

>And while I'm at it, what about a larger catered function -- i.e. a
>ceremony at school.

Again, try to find out beforehand what's being served -- and go to
those who are planning the function, stretch the truth and tell them
you are allergic to milk products (for some reason, people accept
allergies as being 'real', while 'lactose intolerance' doesn't seem to
be a 'real' malady to them), and ask if it would be possible to have
YOUR meal without any sauces, or the sauces on the side...

I've never had any problems doing this...

If worse comes to worse, eat before going, and just stick to salads at
the function...

>I don't want to be a militant, I just don't want to be known as that guy
>who never eats his food.

Why not?  One can stand up for oneself WITHOUT being obnoxious about
it...as long as you are discreet about it, believe me, few people will
notice...after all, the whole REASON for such get-togethers is to
ENJOY EACH OTHERS' COMPANY...  ;-)

>P.S. My favorite find is Ben and Jerry's Devil's Food Chocolate Sorbet --
>tastes as rich as I remember premium chocolate ice cream. And if you are
>ever in Northampton, MA, "Herrell's Ice Cream" has good "No-Moo" flavors.

Haagen Daz has a chocolate sorbet which is really good, too...but my
favorite is Tofutti's Chocolate Mousse, also their 'Better Pecan'...

D. June  ;-)

                When we are old as you?
                When we shall hear
                The rain and wind beat dark December, how
                In this pinching care
                Shall we discourse the freezing hours away?

                        -- Shakespeare

    -=-
 (\  _  /)
 (`\(")/')