NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 14:37:19 -0600
>My daughter cannot have casein.  Her doctor says she can have a little =
>butter as that is almost all fat and would only have a trace amount of =
>casein if any.  I'm reluctant to feed her it, but would like to just for =
>convenience sake.  Any of you know about this or feed your =
>casein-intolerant child butter with no problems? =20
>Thanks in advance for your help!
>Teresa, Los Angeles, California.  Email:[log in to unmask]

I agree with someone who responded not to deliberately give a casein
sensitive child butter.

Here is my question:  (And I'll try to keep it short because the details
would take forever.)

It is obvious that my son is allergic to milk protein because rubbing milk
or butter on his skin causes a rash, and we have always known this.  BUT
WHY WHEN HE TAKES BUTTER INTERNALLY HAS HE NEVER HAVE ANY EXTERNAL
REACTION? (as he does with milk powder and cheese, though we learned by
accident it seems no longer to milk baked into something).

I never let him have butter though occasionally (at most once every 1-2
months though probably not that often) I actually let him have something
with butter cooked in it at a party when there is no other dairy in it
because I know he has no external reaction (although something must be
going on inside him if he reacts to it on his skin).  I only let him have
it because to see the joy (or ecstasy actually) he gets from eating cake,
etc. that everyone else is  eating is really beautiful.

Rachele Shaw