NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 1997 10:05:44 -0600
>I have two children ages 2 1/2 and 6 months both boys.  Last Sunday, we were
>eating out and the 6 mth old started rubbing his eyes.  He does this when
>he's tired so I didn't think anything of it.  We put him in the carseat and
>he started to scream and rub his face.  Lo and behold!! he had hives on his
>face and one eye was swollen.  We rushed him to the ER.  He had an allergic
>reaction.  We're not sure what.  He was swiping his hands at a plant,
>grabbing at my napkin, and I was holding him.  I'm not sure if I had cheese
>remnants on my fingers that caused the reaction or possibly the plant had
>something on it to bother him.  What do you all think?
>
>His brother is severely allergic to milk,egg, and peanut.  I'm thinking it
>may have been the cheese on my hands, but I'm not sure.  Oh, the 6 mth old is
>on soy formula so he's never had milk.

Our son is allergic to dairy and if he gets milk, etc. on him he gets hives
in that place.

But also, if he gets anything oily on his hands (even oils he is not
allergic to) and rubs his eyes he gets itchy.  When he was a baby (he is
now 5 1/2) he would get hives from these oils.  Now his eyes just get itchy
and it goes away after we hold a damp cloth on it.

 No one has ever figured this out.  But then again until he was 1 1/2-2 no
one ever figured out why he got hives just from water (if the water wasn't
wiped off or sundried right away).

Luckily, a lot of these things seem to go away as a child gets older.

Rachele Shaw