NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"R. Pellerin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:26:33 -0400
I have never heard of milk coating on apples.  Is that only in the US or
Canada too?  My son eats an apple in his school lunch five days a week and I
am not aware of any issues.  I do wash the apple but I don't scrub it.

Somehow I see vegans getting up in arms about a milk coating, not to mention
milk allergic people.

Is it possibly you have oral allergy syndrome?

Vegan cuisine, from what I have seen and feel free to correct me, is often
heavy in soy as soy is seen as a substitute for meat, eggs and milk.
Problem is, too much soy can also be a bad thing for the non allergic person
too.

As for the fried fish, if other items that were covered in a batter that did
have milk in it were fried in the same oil as your "safe" fish, then that
oil could easily become cross contaminated.  I believe that it what happened
to my son once.  We were at a Chinese buffet and he was happily eating
fries.  There was delay (usually he reacts once away to dairy) of about a
half hour or so, but all of a sudden, he started to cough and he needed his
puffer (usually milk causes hives).  I suspected that the onion rings,
chicken balls, etc. might have milk in their batter and were probably all
fried in the same big vat.  No more Chinese buffets for us.

Good luck.