NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cathy O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 16:41:47 -0700
D Jacobs wrote:

>  So as human milk becomes 'low fat', I don't think those
> figures would hold for a toddler.

Actually, there is an article at the LLL web site that states, "Research has shown
that second-year milk is very similar to the first-year milk nutritionally (Victora,
1984), Breastmilk remains a valuable source of protein, fat, calcium, and vitamins
well beyond two years of age (Jelliffe and Jelliffe, 1978) .  I would take "very
similar" to mean, "not significantly different."  Here is the link if you would like
to read the article.  http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NB6.4.90.1.html

> Not terribly efficient.....
> Babies and children need around .5 mg of iron per pound of body weight per
> day (1.1 mg / kg of body weight)."

I know I didn't state anything about the quality of the different iron sources.  The
only reason I pointed out that iron was in fact an ingredient, was because you said
there was NO iron in cow's milk.  I guess I get hung up on accuracy of details.  Iron
isn't really at issue here anyway.    Afterall, there is more than enough iron in
various foods that toddlers eat, not to mention the availability of iron
supplements.   So, it's all a moot point, really.

>  But really my point has been that a child who is NOT drinking cow's
> milk (the one's that we're concerned with here basically) CAN get adequate
> nutrition without the use of infant formula.  And several members of this list
> have accomplished this successfully through various means.

Well, I still disagree with you.  There are some very good, very valid reasons why
these researchers disagree also.  I'd tend to go with the researcher's opinions vs.
those of lay people.  Afterall, they are the ones who are studying the subject.
Empirical evidence carries the weight, whereas the opinions of a few people is IMHO
are just that, opinions.

I'd be curious to know exactly how "individuals" know that they have in fact
"accomplished this successfully."  I mean who is to say that those particular
children, from age one to two, couldn't have done better nutrionally.  To make such a
claim really is very subjective.  I really think that unless these kids are in study
groups or are being disected (sorry to be morbid) then parents can't really make
claims as to the success of a diet.  Call me obtuse, but I'll take, "just the facts
please."

Cathy

PS:  I will be unsubscribing from this list after posting this message because I have
been "reprimanded" twice by the list owner for "excessive quoting.  I don't believe it
is conducive to in depth discussions to control quoting when I believe quoting is very
necessary in order to ensure that points at issue are identified in subsequent
comments, please direct them to my private email address [log in to unmask]