NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:13:12 -0500
> I am fairly certain that Cool-Whip is pareve, and it contains casein

Cool-Whip is not pareve (at least not around here).  If you are finding
tubs of cool whip labelled pareve let us know what hechsher it has, as
that is obviously unreliable.  By Jewish law, casein is dairy, not pareve.

> (lots). I also remeber that Coffee-Mate and similar non-dairy creamers
> contain casein and are considered pareve.

Most of the non-dairy creamers are not considered pareve.  There are only
one or two, and they are pretty hard to find in non-Jewish areas.  Coffee-
Mate does not a pareve creamer as far as I know.

>A friend of mine who is quite
> religious used to make pareve ice cream (before there was Tofutti or Rice
> Dream) using frozen Cool Whip.

could have been a different cool whip recipe back then?  Or maybe he was
using another cool whip like product that was actually pareve?

--Robyn