NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:32:02 -0800
Good for you! I can't believe people do things like that, but I know that many
people don't know about allergies and such. I've realized that many people I
tell I'm allergic to dairy assume I mean lactose intolerant - and I've actually
had people say "Then why don't you just take those pills for it or something?",
as if I was just being a pain or hysterical about something that (to them)
"isn't that big a deal". So I'm guessing that a lot of people I'm telling I'm
dairy-allergic are actually thinking the same thing ("nutcase",
"hypochondriac", etc) but just aren't saying anything - so who knows what they
might be serving me!

I have noticed that if I don't say "I'm allergic to dairy", but instead say
"I'm allergic to milk protein", it seems to make more people pause before
assuming they already understand I'm "just" talking about lactose intolerance.
I was impressed last night at dinner when I asked the server to leave the
cheese off my hamburger, and she (on her own), then went point by point through
the rest of what I'd get with the meal to make sure the rest was a-ok. You bet
she got a big tip :)

Gertie

http://mail.yahoo.com