NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
mfeltner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:09:18 -0400
Suzie,

Here are some of my faves:

Fleishmans Unsalted Margarine sticks (marked "parve/pareve")
Tofutti Better than Sour Cream
Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
Tofutti Milk-Free Frozen Desserts
Silk Very Vanilla Soy Milk
Silk Soy yogurt
Amy's Kitchen Roasted Vegetable Pizza (cheeseless, but absolutely delicious!)
Amy's Kitchen Dairy-Free Enchiladas
(Amy's Kitchen has a number of other great frozen meals/sides.  They are
marked clearly whether they are dairy-free or not. When they say dairy-free,
you can believe it, unlike with some other manufacturers.)

Hope your daughter likes some of these.  Best to you and your family.  Life
without dairy is possible, though the transition might be hard.

Also, though many people allergic to cow's milk are also allergic to goat's
milk products, some can tolerate it.  You could give goat's milk/cheese a try,
if you want.  However, if you're risking an anaphylactic reaction, I strongly
caution you against it.

Our whole family went dairy free when we learned of our son's milk allergy.
At his age, we just didn't want anything in the house that would be
life-threatening to him.  Not worth it!  At your daughter's age, she certainly
knows well enough to sort out what is safe for her and what is unsafe, but I
suppose this will be a tough transition for your daughter if she's been
accustomed to eating dairy.  Just try to her her focus on all that she can
eat, instead of what she cannot eat.

Also, for baking and soups (just about any recipe really) it is very easy to
substitute plain soy milk for cow's milk.

Hope some of this helps,

Melanie
mom to Noel, 15 mo, breastfed, allergic to milk