NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:02:03 -0400
Margo Mead <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>But for allergy sufferers, even a tiny amount of a peanut product can
>cause a shock, which in a small percentage of cases can be fatal. To
>protect sufferers, many schools have declared classrooms peanut-free and
>set up "no-peanut zones" in cafeterias.

>2) If schools are really doing this banning of peanut products, I think
>they're setting themselves up for having to do the same for those allergic
>to milk or wheat or eggs or other common food allergens. After all,
>they're supposed to treat all the students equally.

The problem is peanut allergies are particularly severe, more so than a kid
having an attack because they were licked or kissed by someone consuming
milk. There is a post now in alt.support.food-allergies. The adult will die
if in a closed airplane and the people around her are eating peanuts. On a
recent flight, which she was assured would be peanut free, she broke out in
a total rash and had trouble breathing as they were taxiing down the
runway. They had to land and take her off. The culprit? The bag lunches had
peanut power bars in them.

Don.