NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 07:11:32 -0400
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>I have been on a gluten and dairy free diet for over 2 years now.

I've been GF for eight years and dairy-free for two.

> I'm
>wondering what the symptoms of dairy intolerance are as it's been so long,
>and was mixed up with gluten symptoms, I'm not sure what to look for if I
>try dairy again. I am particularly interested in milk, butter and cheese
>effects.

At a conference last fall I asked that my meals be dairy-free. This was a
celiac conference, so the gluten aspect was already being covered, but the
people setting up the menu included dairy in every dish at every meal. More
dairy than I have ever seen at a conference! At the first dinner I asked
that my meal be dairy-free. They got confused in the kitchen and changed my
beef to chicken, but left the vegetables in butter. I decided to go ahead
and eat them. An hour later I had severe abdominal cramps and then
diarrhea. I have never had abdominal cramps before from either gluten or
dairy. My presumption is in the two years not eating dairy I became lactose
intolerant. I guess there was no reason for the lactase enzyme to hang around.

Don.