NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:48:41 EST
In a message dated 1/14/99 7:33:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  I am thinking about trying to find a sit down restaurant where my
 daughter can get a non-dairy meal.  Up to this point I have been very
 reluctant to trust other to prepare her food, but we really needs to find a
 couple of places to eat away from home.  I know about calling ahead, talking
 to chef, manager, etc. but any specific advice on type of restaurant, chain
 vs. local, types of dishes that appeal to kids that are dairy free would be
 appreciated.  My daughter likes American food, mostly fish and chicken, so
 Chinese, etc. isn't an option. >>

I've had good experience with Benihana, a chain of Japanese restaurants.  They
cood the food (meat/seafood/chicken and vegetables)at a grill right in front
of you and you can watch exactly what they are doing!  They have been willing
to prepare my son's food FIRST before anyone else's food has been prepared (to
prevent contamination) and they can make the food very plain by not adding
teriyaki sauce or whatever if you just tell them. They do offer a children's
menu.

Kid's meals are served with rice,  salad and desert, all of which are prepared
back in the kitchen.  I know the rice is just plain rice but we have not taken
a chance on the salad or dessert.

Lynda