NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lori Redman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 10:50:45 -0500
 <snip>

> I bake every single day and never use the same recipe.  My basic recipe
> is two cups of flour, honey/molasses, 1 tsp. of salt, 3/4 cup of liquid,
> usually water and yeast.  I use a breadmaker to proof the dough (i hour
> and 20 minutes) and then shape the dough into different rolls or breads.
>
> I can make 32 tiny rolls or 8 hamburger-sized rolls...or two french
> breads.  I use millet and rye and whole wheat, grinding and mixing my
> own flours.  Sometimes I add raisins or dates or dried
> cranberries...pignoli nuts...This variety really creates the entire
> culinary mood of my house. THANK GOODNESS for bread machines.

<snip>

Hi Robert et al,

I am trying a dairy-free diet for myself to see if my sinus and rhinitis
problems clear up. It has been three whole days and I haven't sneezed once.
(trust me, this is truly a breakthrough for me!).

About thickening soups, have you thought of using powdered soy milk as a
thickner. I have been using powdered soy in my breadmaker for about a year
now (I, too, am breadmachine worshipper) and all this talk about using soy
formula in soup got me thinking about powdered soy.

This stuff is great because you can make your own drinking beverage, add it
to baked goods, etc. I have made a pseudo condensed milk with it by adding
powdered soy to corn syrup. This does require experimentation depending on
your recipe, but I get the feeling that that you all are pretty adventurous
cooks!

I have been reading this list for about a week and I can't tell you how much
great info I have extracted.

blessed be
dairy-free,
Lori