NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tanya Bumgardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:07:50 -0500
I had been mysteriously sick for 6 years so my doctor recently put me on an
elimination diet to see if food was causing the problem.  With no doubt it
turned out to be milk that was the culprit.  But now I don't know if I'm
allergic or intolerant, and I'm broke from my last visit to the doctor so I
can't afford to have any more tests done yet (my insurance is a rip off!).
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I'm beginning to think it's intolerance because I mostly deal with GI
problems when I have milk.  And I seem to react differently to various
products (I have eaten some cheedar cheese without major effect).  If I have
any symptoms right away, they are headaches and GI problems, but the rest of
the symptoms seem to be cummulative.  If I have a large portion of dairy in
one day, the next day and days after, I have a "hangover."  Circles under my
eyes, fatigue, headache, achy muscles and joints, nausea, sometimes but
rarely sinus problems. I have never had skin problems directly related to
one incident of eating dairy, but over the 6 years of being sick, my skin
got progressively sensitive sometimes getting a rash or hives.  But that is
no longer a problem since the diet.

I have considered giving my body a couple more dairy free weeks and then
testing myself to see how I react again.  Or trying Lactaid to see if that
helps. But knowing that an allergic reaction could be life threatening if
this is what it is, I'm hesitant.  What's been your experiences?

Thanks so much,

Tanya Bumgardner