NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Steinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 18:03:41 -0400
Ok, I've been waiting for confirmation from my doctor, a naturopath,
before I posted this.  She confirmed that the main problem with Tums as
as a calcium supplement (besides being a poor source) is that it is in
an anti-acid form which destroys the stomach acid that we all need
(particularily allergic people) to break down and digest our foods.  If
the foods are not being broken down completely they are very likely
being absorbed as large proteins which can aggravate/worsen allergic
reactions and more pertinent to this discussion if food is not being
broken down nutrients are not being absorbed at all.

I have no way of giving a reference from my doctor but a book that
confirms some of this info and goes into more detail about the role of
stomach acid is called Childhood Illness and the Allergy Connection:  A
Nutritional Approach to Overcoming and Preventing Childhood Illness by
Zoltan P. Rona, M.D.He says,  "  Stomach acid is absolutely essential
for digesting protein and for the absorption of vitamins and trace
minerals.  Since it has been estimated that about half the population of
North America has low stomach acidity, it should not be surprising that
a long list of maladies is associated witih low or absent acidity."

Included in the list are food allergies and asthma.

I can say that for myself digestive enzymes have helped a great deal, as
well as bitters and avoiding the many foods that make me sick.  I am
still allergic and gluten intolerant but I can eat now without being
sick after every meal.  Thats all of the proof I need. As far as calcium
I take a calcium citrate as do my three children and we all take a multi
as well as other supplements but we try to get our nutrients from our
foods and have the pills be our backup.

As far as doctors recommending Tums I will tell you my opinion about
that: most doctors in this country get nor seek much info on nutrition.
Often what info they do have is gotten from companies marketing a
product such as milk or formula or vitamins or whatever. ( We also get
this "educational info" from the government and formula companies).  I
am not anti doctor but I am pro health and wellness, I  have not found
that the average doctor that I've seen( and there have been many while
trying to "get well") knows much about what will help nourish my body
and heal it, instead they have wanted to give me drugs and knives to
mask my symptoms because they did not know what to do. There are good
doctors of course but I am talking about an overall health care system
that focuses on all of the wrong things. Sorry for the length of this
post, I hope that the info is helpful,

Larissa Blechman