NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
EngJrnTchr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 1998 09:22:45 -0600
Many of you have carried Epi-pens and the new alternatives for awhile I
thought I'd ask your advice.  What do you do about carrying these
devices in hot weather when you won't be in air conditioning?

We've solved other problems but I'm not sure about the heat, save using
a small cooler.
Do you have any suggestions?

BTW, we heard we MIGHT be able to get an Epi-Pen tomorrow.  Presently we
are carrying a syringe and a vial of epinephrine.

I had an interesting experience when I went to get the epi and syringe:
I had to give myself a shot of saline before I could leave the doctor's
office to prove I could administer the shot properly.  I thought this
was a wonderful idea!!  I wasn't thrilled about giving myself a shot,
though it didn't hurt, but I REALLY listened to the instructions that
way!

I then went directly to my daughter's daycare and made the entire staff
practice on an orange both with the Epi-Pen trainer and syringe.  I am
now well versed on the syringe usage and feel more confident.  As an
educator I know that you learn things best if you teach others how to do
something.  It worked in this case too.

It's a good time for everyone to think about re-training those who come
in contact with our children or ourselves.

Have a safe holiday weekend!

Deborah