NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 08:32:33 -0800
Dawn Hyatt wrote:

I think what Dawn wrote was very good. Is it true? Who knows. We
professionals always argue about the mechanisms, and I've studied it
alot, but I've never been in the bloodstream, or witnessed tests that
show what actually happens microscopically.

But I have witnessed the macroscopic effects of diet. I have seen, felt,
and photographed changes that were undoubtedly diet related. What Dawn
wrote is pretty much what I surmise. The craving mechanism is a little
different in my understanding, and has to do with withdrawal(although it
could be opiate driven). The mechanism for all this misery that is
caused by dairy foods (or gluten, or...) is what we call
allergy/addiction. If you're in this allergy/addiction situation (which
I believe most of us are to some extent) withdrawal is set off when you
don't get your fix of coffee or alcohol or sugar or casein or gluten or
whatever. You may get a headache, or feel lousy, or get the flu, or feel
weak and shakey, and crave the allergen. Many call this hypoglycemia,
and it is, sort of. The usual interpretation is that you can't go too
long between meals. What it means to me is that you are still being
exposed to some allergen in the diet. A healthy person with no allergies
can fast with no adverse effects. The misery of withdrawal causes your
brain to seek an end to it. The alcoholic will crave alcohol, the heroin
addict....... The alternative is to suffer the discomfort of
withdrawal--several days or weeks.

For more on this, read Marshall Mandell's Five Day Allergy Relief System
by Marshall Mandell, M.D.

Daniel A. Twogood, D.C.