NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Fernety <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:41:36 -0400
>Does anyone know of a good thickener for pie filling besides corn starch?
> My daughter hardly ever gets desserts/treats because of the corn and/or
>dairy and I'd love to make a cherry pie for her for the fourth.  I was
>thinking tapioca starch, but don't know what the substitution rate would
>be or if it would even work.  I think flour might be a bit to gunky
>although that is what I use for things like fresh blueberries.

I pulled this from "My Kid's Allergic to Everything - Dessert Cookbook".
Replace any one of these per every teaspoon of cornstarch.

2/3 Table. Arrowroot Flour
1/3 - 1/2 Table. Kudzu powder
1 Table. Potato flour or potato starch
1 Table. rice flour
4 teaspoons tapioca

My mom used to used tapioca when I was a kid.

Happy 4th,

Helen Fernety