NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandra Sheeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:06:45 -0400
Hi.  I am very new to all of this.  I tried to post to the list a couple of times last week and now I know why it didn't post.
My son is 13 months old and was diagnosed with a milk allergy when he was 6 months old.  He has been on soy formula, but I had decided to try to switch him to soy milk.  I purchased WestSoy Plus Vanilla Soy Beverage, but he had a mild reaction to it (hives all over his face).  The container had a K in a square.  I thought that would indicate that it was dairy-free, but I haven't seen that kosher marking anywhere else.  Has anyone had any experience with WestSoy products or with this type of kosher marking?

I am also concerned about getting enough fat in his diet with soy milk.  I have been told that he needs something with about 8 grams of fat per 8 ounce serving.  Most soy milks that I have seen have only about 4 grams per serving.  I am considering just keeping him on soy formula for a while longer.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks for your help.

Sandy