NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Roberta Schultze <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 May 1997 11:42:00 -0700
Please remove my name from the subscription list.  Unfortunately, I have
discovered that this list is not appropriate for me.

I am lactose intolerant with severe gastric (and at times, systemic)
distress. Though I knew that the doctors considered me "to be allergic
to milk" as a newborn and this would be "outgrown" (the prevailing
medical opinion in the early 1950's). I only discovered the root cause
of my continued gastric problems when I was in my early 30's.  I learned
that I had complete control over my symptoms by reading labels and using
lactase enzyme when appropriate:  such as taking antibiotics that use
lactose as a filler, or when the craving for ice cream or cheese
overtakes me. This information does not seem pertinent to other
subscribers to this list.  My lactose intolerance can be fairly easily
controlled.  I had assumed that sharing this information might be of
help to those individuals who were not yet aware of the difference
between "milk sugar intolerance" versus true "milk protein allergy".

I naively assumed that my own experiences might be of some value to
others with similar problems.  I have discovered nothing from this list
that I did not already know.  Any input that I have made does not seem
to be of assistance to subscribers given the feedback that I have
received.  In addition, I find that many of the postings tend to be
"fads" and based upon popular myths.

I am educated and clearly understand the difference between
"intolerance" and true "allergy".  I have read this guidelines and
understand that the forum covers other areas as well as "milk protein
allergy"(to my knowledge an allergy is by definition a reaction to
'proteins') and "lactose intolerance", however I now find myself only
scanning some postings and deleting most without thoroughly reading
them.

This forum is inappropriate for my needs and interests.  Please
unsubscribe me.  Thank you.