NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carmen Simon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:11:08 -0500
re: Glue

When the first post came out earlier this year on the glue my 4 year old was
just starting preschool and it was a very pressing concern to me.  When my son
was 1 year old my sister with older children was watching my son, I picked up
the bottle of Elmers glue her children were using and out of habit read the
label, it listed casein as an ingredient.  So I took this post very seriously.
Since I live in Central Ohio I called Borden and they informed me they no
longer own Elmers.  They gave me an'800' number to call.  I spoke to the
folks at Elmers and they stated that there is no casein in their product.  They
did say their might have been when Bordens owned them but currently it did not.
The bottle of Elmers glue I have at home lists no ingredients at all.  My son
who is highly allergic to milk...reacts to the slightest amount on his skin or
trace amounts in food...has had no reaction to the Elmers glue at home or
preschool.  If there is any risk it probably is if there is any old Elmers
glue around...which probably wouldn't be as much a problem at a school as it
would be in a home where it isn't used that often and could be kept for years.
It was in Dec. of 1993 that I saw the Elmers bottle that listed casein.

This is just my experience...you know your child best, please err on the side
of caution.

Carmen