NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 00:06:39 EST
In a message dated 1/8/00 10:00:53 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< My son is 7 months old.  >>
Elaine, just the fact that your son is only 7 months old and sensitive to so
much makes me think he is just not ready for "food" yet. I had one child
ready at 5 months, the next at 12 months, the next at 7 months, and the last
at 3 months. I'm talking about just beginning to eat solids, and only one
food at a time for a week or two. Perhaps you just started too soon or tried
too many things at once. Is there any possibility of returning to nursing if
you ever did it? Le Leche League can be of great service in restarting
lactation. As for the question about outgrowing these sensitivities, I think
if you don't try to introduce too many things too soon, there is a good
likelyhood they'll disappear. Some of the things you listed I would not dare
introduce until well after a year. My oldest tried her first lick of peanut
butter at 9 months (I didn't know any better. It was much too soon to try
that.) and we had to rush her to emergency for a shot of adrenaline because
she got hives all over her face and chest and her eyes appeared to have
layers of blisters in the whites. At 18 months I took her to the doctor's
office and tried dot doses to see how much she could tolerate. She didn't get
hives until about a teaspoon. By three years there was no reaction. I was
glad because I lived in fear that some well meaning mom might give her a
peanut butter cookie or sandwich and kill her. I had a friend who got excited
when introducing solids to her baby and tried 5 new things the same week.
That baby was miserable and terribly constipated and had rock hard stools.
After following a little cautionary advice, her baby was fine and to my
knowledge never had allergies. Maybe this doesn't apply to your situtation,
but it might be food for thought. Carrie