NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:00:12 -0800
Does anyone know if there is an 'industry standard' so to speak for allergy
testing?  I have a bad student health plan and since the general internal
medicine MD doesn't believe in food allergies unless they are skin reactions or
anaphulaxis, she refuses to refer me to a RAST or other testing to see what
I am allergic too. 14 years ago I had skin tests positive for milk, beef, and
soy (and 29 airborne substances), I have asthma, a son with severe multiple
allergies, and I am suspecting I have developed mor e rectently (recently) other
allergies, specifically to wheat and other grains, and possibly nuts.  This I
have observed through mostly digestive symptoms/problems (ie. no swelling or
hives).  Has oanyone done a conclusive test through eliminating and then eating
the food a few days later?  This MD suggests I stop eating, then see if I feel
better.  If I do, I might be allergic.  This is as far as medical science (in
my insurance plan anyway) is wiling to take us.  I am worried about inteference
from other unidentified allergens and also that other factors might influence
my own very subjective impressions of whether or not I feel allergic. Does this
sound par for the course for allergy testing these days?  My son has state-of
the art private testing/insurance whcih has its own detractions but at least
seems to go beyond, How do you feel?  Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Susan.