NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 07:34:01 -0500
On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Debbie Benstein wrote:
>has happened to them? I'd actually like to be able to have a hot
>chocolate now and then.

Don't know if there's any way to reverse lactose intolerance, but you
might want to try making hot chocolate the way my Dutch relatives do,
substituting non-dairy creamer for regular cream...

Basically, put a tablespoon or so of unsweetened cocoa powder in a mug
(the best -- and I admit to chauvinism here -- is Droste's Cocoa,
which prints this recipe on the side of its can...but any baking cocoa
will do, including Hershey's)...start out with a tablespoon of cocoa,
and if you want it more 'chocolately', add a quarter teaspoon or so
for subsequent mugs of cocoa...

Add sugar to taste (the Dutch like it not too sweet, so I only add a
teaspoon or two of sugar, but people who like their cocoa sweet would
probably want to make it at least 3 to 4 teaspoons)...

Now, the original recipe calls for adding a tablespoon or two of cream
at this step, and blending it with the cocoa/sugar mixture in the mug
to form a paste...I've substituted liquid non-dairy creamer at this
point, making it a more liquid paste than it is when only cream is
used, since I use a little more of the nondairy creamer than I would
if making it with cream...

Again, if I'm seeming somewhat vague here, it's because the Dutch
drink cocoa almost 'black'...which is how I prefer it...but American
tastes tend to lean to LOTS of 'creaminess', so if I make this for
friends, I add more creamer than I do when making it for myself...

After forming the paste in the mug, slowly pour in boiling water,
mixing the cocoa mixture as you pour...you'll be able to tell at this
point if you've added enough creamer for your taste, if not just add
more at this point...

A Dutch variation is to pour hot coffee in instead of water, making a
cup of mocha...

D. June  ;-)
(sipping her 2nd cup of coffee, so she's now aware just what list
she's posting to! <g>)